New Paid Youtube Option

Youtube just introduced Youtube Red – paid monthly subscription of 9,99$ (currently available only in USA). What we will gain and how it will work if we decide to pay?

What users will gain:

– no advertisements on website and on all Youtube applications

– possibility of downloading movies and watching them offline on mobile device

– video playback in the background with turned off screen (in the mobile YouTube app)

– access to the full resources of YouTube Music, consisting mainly of music videos

– access to a paid Google Play Music plan

– access to new videos “YouTube Originals” created by the most famous YouTubers in cooperation with producers of television movies and series

How it will work:

– Youtube Red is just an additional option on Youtube.com and Youtube apps, not a different website (it is similar to Spotify that most of you probably know)

– Yourube Red users pay once to remove ads from all devices (smartphone, tablet, tv) assigned to your account

– Youtubers that earns on Youtube must approve new agreement with Google, which states that for Youtube Red user ads will be switched off so they won’t earn from ads, but will get some money from subscription fee

– Paid channels is separate issue. Each paid channel operates independently, so for access to each have to pay separately.

I am wondering if people are willing to pay now, while are used to Youtube to be free. What do you think? Are you going to use Youtube Red option?

Sources:

The following two tabs change content below.
p.bedynska

p.bedynska

management in virtual environment student | fitness lover | volunteer in animal shelter (in Korabiewice)
p.bedynska

Latest posts by p.bedynska (see all)

10 thoughts on “New Paid Youtube Option

1. Catherine Świątek Catherine Świątek says:

I would not pay 10$ for this. Ads are not a problem for me, in the majority of cases you can turn them off or skip them. The fact that I can watch movies ofline is not a big benefit either, currently wi-fi is almost everywhere. What is more, I think that can be a step back for youtubers; they work and develop mainly thanks to ads and now, even it they get some percentage, it will be probably less than they would get from the add. I do not know how about you guys, but if I watch my favourite youtubers I always watch the whole ads to “help” them 🙂 But then again, we do not know the details, so mayby this is not that bad after all.

• p.bedynska p.bedynska says:

I wouldn’t pay 10$ either. We can skip adds or install AdBlock. Also it may depend on how often are we using YouTube? Maybe it’s option for YT addicts 😉 or maybe just it will work with another countries like Wendy and Boris mentioned – Poles are cheap and won’t pay. It’s also trend among young people – they will give personal information in exchange for access to some platforms etc. but won’t pay for anything online. So maybe it’s targeted on older audience that is sick of ads and is more ‘offline’ 😉

2. michal.paszkowiak says:

I agree with Catharina,for me it is no different if it is 5 or 10 dollars because I am too lazy to pay for almost everything in internet so I always skip ads. And in my opinion this is perhaps opportunity to competitors to offer something more conveniences service. Of course youtube is to big,rich,influential but always they can lose some share of market .

3. bergman.wendy bergman.wendy says:

YouTube red has caused a lot of talk in the youtube environment. Many artists in Poland are excited and other sceptical. Will people want to pay for this service if they can turn on an adblock and watch for free? Perhaps in the USA it will work but I have my doubts about smaller countries. I am not sure YouTubers will be able to earn the same amount as they do now from ads, at least not the smaller ones.

4. arkovtun says:

Paulina, don’t You think, that Google music is a super cool “additional service”? For those, who pay for Spotify 7 euro, it’s gonna be awesome relief 🙂 And for them ads-free youtube is just a cool additional feature 🙂

5. boris.marushchak boris.marushchak says:

The thing is that we are different in sense of culture. In Poland, for example, same like in Ukraine, people are not willing to pay for “free” services. People don’t have this feeling that somebody work a lot on this small issue and for such a small, in many cases unnecessary thing they need to pay.
    Personally, I’m not really believe in YouTube subscription model as a business model.

6. […] Red. It costs $ 9.99, and for users of iOS – $ 12,99. The presence of a paid subscription YouTube Red allows you to store music in a new offline YouTube Music, disables ads and provides an opportunity […]

7. boris.marushchak boris.marushchak says:

8. m_zakrzewski says:

In my opinion, it is an interesting project. I would like to stress that I use to travel a lot, and in the vast majority of cases (during the train trips) I have no (Internet) reception on my mobile phone. I would like to emphasize that the possibilty to possess all the favorite videos (in an officialy approved way) on my cell phone would definitely relieve my journeys. Furthermore, I have to admit that I like to watch, and maybe what is more important here – to listen to the music clips. It is because within the music clips it is very often possible to encounter additional phrases, sentences that differientiate advantageously the clips from songs. What is more, some of the clips that can be found on YouTube are not accessible using other music-streaming platforms (Apple Music). Moreover, since I am focusing on the mobile application, I would have to oportunity to use the YouTube application in the background. Finally, with the Red’s subscription I would also get access to Google Play Music service.
    All things considered, if this service were available in Poland, I would pay for it.