You may have heard of a popular game called Pokémon Go or even might have played it, the main component of their game was using Augmented reality. Coined in 1990 by Tom Caudell  Augmented reality is the result of using technology to superimpose information — sounds, images, and text — on the world we see . AR is quite different from Virtual Reality (VR) because in VR there are computer-generated environments whereas in AR it adds something to reality.
The first video game which incorporated augmented reality was The Eye of Judgment (SONY, 2007). Played on PS3 the console’s PS Eye camera gathered real-world images and read the coded information on small physical trading cards. This information allowed the game to bring the characters on the trading cards to life on the screen. The biggest hit was Pokémon GO developed and published by Niantic. According to Sensor Tower in the first three years, it had earned a total of $ 2.65B .
By 2021, experts predict that there will be a major advancement in this industry with gaming companies mainly focusing on AR-based products. This year, Apple, Google, and Snapchat released their AR platforms and opened the door wide for gaming developers to produce a variety of apps, games, and features . Some areas of AR which can be improved are a better field of view (FOV), better brightness, battery life, and 3D sensing capabilities .
Ultimately AR will continue growing as it has improved the gaming experience such as allowing the player to play for themselves rather than seeing an avatar running around and performing various actions.
Another game like Pokémon GO is Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. The Developers are Niantic, Portkey Games, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, WB Games San Francisco and it was released on June 21, 2019
- Rauterberg, M. (2002, July 10). History of HCI, Slide no. 96 of 114. (c) TU/e, Eindhoven. Retrieved October 20, 2019, from http://www.idemployee.id.tue.nl/g.w.m.rauterberg/presentations/hci-history/sld096.htm
- Emspak, J. (2018, June 01). What is Augment reality?. LiveScience. Retrieved October 20, 2019, from https://www.livescience.com/34843-augmented-reality.html
- Last updated October 8th, 2019. (C) 2004–2019 Jeremy Norman & Co., Inc. Retrieved October 20, 2019, from http://www.historyofinformation.com/detail.php?id=861
- Williams II, D. (2016 May 05). The History of Augmented Reality. HuffPost. Retrieved October 20, 2019, from https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-history-of-augmented-_b_9955048
- First augmented reality game for a console. Guinness world records. Retrieved October 20, 2019, from https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-augmented-reality-game-for-a-console/
- Nelson, R. (2019, July 18). Pokémon GO Grossed More Than Candy Crush In Its First Three Years, On Track to Cross $3 Billion in 2019. Sensortower. Retrieved October 20, 2019, from https://sensortower.com/blog/pokemon-go-revenue-year-three
- Wallace, F. (2018, November 25). The future of AR gaming after Pokémon GO. Headstuff. Retrieved October 20, 2019, from https://www.headstuff.org/entertainment/gaming/the-future-of-ar-gaming-after-pokemon-go/
- For the video: Harry Potter: Wizards Unite. (2019, June 17, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite | Gameplay Trailer. Retrieved October 20,2019 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=ngHLSmAvCMQ